Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tomato Soup



It is a challenge finding healthy eats in malls. Therefore, it was a welcome surprise stumbling upon the menu selection of the Buzz Cafe in Island City Mall (ICM) in Tagbilaran City, Bohol.  I particularly liked its tomato sauce with fresh vegetables. The soup came with bread and the Bohol Bee Farm spreads. It is offered at PHP160 per serving. I know, it is a tad expensive for Bohol rates.  


THE BUZZ CAFE
Upper Ground Floor, Island City Mall
Tagbilaran Ctiy, Philippines
+6338.5017818



Posted by Picasa


I have always loved tomato soup. I used to prepare it for dinner along with bruschetta. Below is the tomato soup recipe which I cherish. It is from the The Best of Food Magazine (ABS-CBN Publishing, Inc. Pasig City, 2001)


Tomato Bread Soup
6-8 servings


1/2 cup olive oil (preferably extra virgin) plus additional for serving
1 large onion, minced
4 large cans (about 16 oz. each) whole plum tomatoes, undrained, cut into large pieces
5 cups chicken broth OR 2 bouillon chicken cubes dissolved in 5 cups water
10   slices crusty bread cut into chunks
teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of Italian seasoning
2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces OR 1 teaspoon dried basil

  • In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and saute onion.
  • Add tomatoes and their juices and saute for a few seconds, pressing tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
  • Pour in chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Stir in bread chunks and blend well with the rest of the mixture. Season with salt, sugar, Italian seasoning and the dried basil if using. Let simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
  • If using fresh basil leaves, add the leaves at this point. Heat through for 30 seconds.
  • Spoon into individual serving bowls. Pour a dollop of extra virgin olive oil into each soup bowl for added flavor. Serve with warm bread such as focaccia or baguette.



9 comments:

cherie said...

hi! I'm glad that I stumbled upon your blog. Your posts are very informative. I especially love your "Getting Pregnant" post because it inspires me not to lost hope and continue praying that God will make me pregnant in due time. I'm married for 1year and 8months and me and my hubby's always praying for me to get pregnant.
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Kangaroo said...

Hala sis.murag lami na ang imong soup ay.perfect kaayo na sa winter!

newbiewife said...

I miss Bohol!! We went there for our honeymoon. We loved the beach, the food and the people. Can't wait to go there again.

By the way, thanks for the advice. Will try to talk to the hubby later.

Reanaclaire said...

wow..tomato soup..my kids will love to drink that... it goes best with toasted garlic bread..

Anonymous said...

Gobble..gobble...its yummy sis ! I am a disaster in the kitchen. Could not cook without a recipe. Gabz might love this one.

PM said...

the tomato soup looks yummy and it's got okra. it's another way of preparing okra too. : )

Anonymous said...

hi! i'll make the tomato soup using the recipe posted here , one of these weekends. take care.

amiable amy said...

i will try that soup, i hope it will turn out like that...hehehe

thanks for sharing the recipe

"Q" said...

thanks for sharing this. ill copy this cause i remember my hubby requesting for tomato soup. will use this :)