It is a challenge finding healthy eats in malls. Therefore, it was a welcome surprise stumbling upon the menu selection of the Buzz Cafe in Island City Mall (ICM) in Tagbilaran City, Bohol. I particularly liked its tomato sauce with fresh vegetables. The soup came with bread and the Bohol Bee Farm spreads. It is offered at PHP160 per serving. I know, it is a tad expensive for Bohol rates.
THE BUZZ CAFE
Upper Ground Floor, Island City Mall
Tagbilaran Ctiy, Philippines
I have always loved tomato soup. I used to prepare it for dinner along with bruschetta. Below is the tomato soup recipe which I cherish. It is from the The Best of Food Magazine (ABS-CBN Publishing, Inc. Pasig City, 2001)
Tomato Bread Soup
1/2 cup olive oil (preferably extra virgin) plus additional for serving
1 large onion, minced
4 large cans (about 16 oz. each) whole plum tomatoes, undrained, cut into large pieces
5 cups chicken broth OR 2 bouillon chicken cubes dissolved in 5 cups water
10 slices crusty bread cut into chunks
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
Pinch of Italian seasoning
2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces OR 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and saute onion.
- Add tomatoes and their juices and saute for a few seconds, pressing tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in bread chunks and blend well with the rest of the mixture. Season with salt, sugar, Italian seasoning and the dried basil if using. Let simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using fresh basil leaves, add the leaves at this point. Heat through for 30 seconds.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls. Pour a dollop of extra virgin olive oil into each soup bowl for added flavor. Serve with warm bread such as focaccia or baguette.