Saturday, January 3, 2009

Raw Fish and Fresh Seafood

When I was young, my mother used to share an anecdote about a guy from Cebu who was diagnosed with cancer. The guy went on leave from his job and lived on an island. He went fishing with the local fishermen everyday and had a regular diet of raw fish dipped in sea water. He thought he was nearing his end until one day his doctors discovered that he was already cancer free.


True or not, this story has always fascinated me. I love being out to sea. I love eating raw fish or what we Visayans call, kinilaw or kilawin for the Tagalogs.


Kinilaw


Preparing the kinilaw



So during my trip home to Tagbilaran, I asked my mother to prepare kinilaw. It was the best!!! I couldn't have enough. If only we have more fresh seafood in Manila. I also went to see the market in Dao District, Tagbilaran City. This is the market across from Island City Mall (ICM).


Below are my finds at 5:30 in the afternoon.










9 comments:

ART'S WIFE said...

omg, i miss kinilaw and lato! i only get to eat them when i go to my in laws' place in manila. grabe, nakakainggit. i hope i get to eat them when i go back to manila. yummy! :)

Beth said...

i love kinilaw! my mother is super galing din gumawa ng kinilaw na dilis! sarap talaga!!!

sweetytots said...

yummy, i like kinilaw too.. but nobody from my family knows how to prepare it. congrats on your PR1!HAppy new year!

Dean and Lee Schroeder said...

I miss eating kinilaw! masarap and i like the spicy taste

"Q" said...

looks good and yummy! :)

S-H-Y said...

WOW sarap nmn nyan, na miss ko na yan hehehe..

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year girl!!!!best wishes for this year 2009.I love eating kinilaw na isda with sinugbang karne :).Also I miss guso and lato hehehe.Naglaway nako diri :)

Mrs. Stevenson said...

the fish looks good. good pics.

Anonymous said...

sis, bisaya ka pala! cebuana kasi ako. :)

i miss my mom's kinilaw na tangigue and nangka. nagutom tuloy ako. :(