Thursday, January 15, 2009

BPA free bottle - Medela









When my baby was just a few months' old, my really good friend from Canada emailed me to dump my non-BPA free bottles and switch to safer bottles. At the start I said, nah, it's no big deal. I was using Avent at that time and I found it pricey to change bottles since Avent is not offering to replace bottles here in the Philippines. 

After some time of deliberating and tossing and turning, I relented. I figured what is a few hundred bucks of savings but with a possibility of a potential damage to my daughter's health.

What convinced me was the decisive action taken by the Canadian government based on the studies by Health Canada. On October 17, 2008, Canada announced its drafting of regulations banning the importation, sale, and advertising of polycarbonate baby bottles that contain bisphenol A (BPA), as announced here. As far as I know, the US has not initiated similar steps. 

There are two main sources of BPA for infants: (1) baby bottles; and (2) tin cans containing baby formula. Heating the bottle or putting in hot liquid may cause leeching.  I have been mixed feeding from the start and shifted to pure formula feeding when my baby turned 8 months. I have figured out a way of ensuring BPA free bottles by purchasing Medela bottles. However, I have not been as mindful of the formula cans containing my baby's formula. 

How to check if your formula tin can is polycarbonate. Check the bottom of the bottle for the number 7 in the center of the recycling symbol with a PC beside it. 

BPA Health Risks.  Bisphenol A is a hormone disruptor. Studies have linked low-dose BPA exposure with permanent changes to the genital tract; increase prostate weight; decline in testosterone; breast cells predisposed to cancer; prostate cells more sensitive to hormones and cancer; and hyperactivity. 

The scientific studies are not yet very certain, however, I find it best to err on the side of caution. 





After all this information, I went up to see Beng of Codienne Enterprises. It is my understanding that Codienne Enterprises is allowed to distribute Medela products provided that they distribute directly to consumers and do not put out their products in stores. Maybe, that is why their Medela products are cheaper. I was in luck and Beng had stocks so I bought 4 pieces of  250ml/8.5oz bottles with medium teat at  PHP 600/piece.

According to Beng, the Medela bottles are flexible as they can be used with all Medela breastpumps. The bottles are also shatterproof and do not crack or splinter when dropped. Best of all, they are BPA free!



Beng Feliciano
Medela Mom
Exclusive Authorized Distributor
Medela Philippines
mobile:  (0926) 7016248  

8 comments:

Dez said...

hello sis! oo nga, grabe kasi ang lamig ngaun anoh?! buti naman ok na din kid mo. :)

cherie said...

thanks for the info! love this post.

Anonymous said...

hello! this post is helpful to all the moms out there, including me. i have been aware of this BPA issue just recently. ive been in the process switching to bpa-free bottles. so far, i already bought 5bpa-free bottles (not medela, won't mention the brand might get conflict with yours hehe). i surely hope those moms who have not yet been switching to bpa-free would start now. our babies health is utmost concern here :)

i like your blog, already added you in my list :)

SearchingWellness said...

Hello ohmymama, oh please mention the brand. I am not part of medela. This is not a paid ad either. Medela does not even know I am posting this. Hehehehe. Natuwa lang ako sa kanila. But, by all means mention the brands. :) Thanks for visiting. Will add you up as well.

Thanks, cherish_jd. Welcome here.

SearchingWellness said...

Hello Dez, it is cold nga... brrr

"Q" said...

ah so thats the medela bottle pala. now i know what to do when i have a baby. Beng is my batchmate in highschool (small world)

sweetytots said...

hi, this is a good post.. can I repsot so that moms that read my sweetytots blog will also know where to order those bottles.

SearchingWellness said...

Hi sweetytots, feel free to repost. :) Just link me. Sis Q, Wow, kilala mo si Beng?? Small world talaga. She doesn't even know I wrote this. She is a n@wie.